Tuesday, December 3, 2013

2013 in Review: Alisha Jade

http://www.ajadeart.com/ 

What have been your personal cartooning/comics highlights of 2013?  
This year I've printed 4 comics, with another 2 coming by end of year. 3 of those were 60 page books so really happy with that! I've also been able to meet and spend time with some incredible creators including some I've admired for years. I also did my first real mini comics, which are a blast and I can see myself doing lots of. I also started a tumblr to collect links to local female artists which is growing pretty much every week - it's incredibly cool!
 
What are some of the comics you've enjoyed in 2013
I've really enjoyed finding new comics this year in unexpected places - I loved "Mother May I" by Choo in Melbourne and practically everything by Amei  Zhao, whose use of line and colour is just incredible. I was also late to the party in picking up Pat Grant's "Blue" but found the use of colours and textures in the work really eye opening. It feels like this year has just expanded my mind for what comics can be and how they feel.

What is something non-comics that you have enjoyed in 2013? 
I was able to visit Japan for the first time in October, which was even more amazing than I ever thought it could be.
 
What are you looking forward to in 2014? 
I'm mostly just looking forward to more comics! I'm hoping to finish Seven in the next year and start a new major project (which is already lined up!) and I'm hoping to get to a lot more diverse events than just the big cons. I'm also looking forward to meeting more and more fantastic people - comics creators are just the most interesting people around!

No comments: