Tuesday, December 3, 2013

2013 in Review: James Davidson


What have been your personal cartooning/comics highlights of 2013?
Releasing Moa Volume one at Chromacon was definitely a high. Not only was it good to see all the Moa comics collected in a single volume, it was great to meet lots of the local talent. Sharing a booth with Matt Emery and Sarah Laing was a blast. Living on the coast of Taranaki certainly has it's positives but the one thing it lacks is a thriving comic community, so getting the chance to talk comics all day is always appreciated. Also, being included in Adrian Kinnaird's excellent From Earths End book was a great honor. It is very humbling seeing my work in the same book with some of the most creative individuals New Zealand has to offer.

What are some of the comics you've enjoyed in 2013?

I haven't had much time to read many comics this year. The only one that has left a lasting impression was Seth's George Sprott, which I got from the New Plymouth Library. They just got Grant Morrison's Animal Man omnibus but as I have incurred a few fines I'm too chicken to go and get it!

What is something non-comics that you have enjoyed in 2013?
Spotify! I have found so much new music through Spotify. I also like the subscription model which allows you to pretty much consume as much music as you want. Now when an album comes out I can give it a go and if I like it I keep it, if not you can delete it. It certainly makes you more adventurous in your tastes not having to commit $20-$30 on a CD. The album I've jammed the most in 2013 has been Kendrick Lamar's good kid m.A.A.d city.
 
What are you looking forward to in 2014?
Making more comics! Due to a growing family my output has been lower then I would have liked. I would like to get both issues 4 and 5 finished in 2014. With any luck issue 4 will be ready in time for the Wellington Armageddon. 

No comments: